As an international student, it is beneficial if you work for a part-time job. This will help you not just to pay your student loans but also interact with a lot of new people and build new skills. All these skills can be added to your resume which can improve your job opportunities. Moreover, you can also manage your living expenses while working part-time.
As an international student, you can earn an average of £112.20 per week and the top 15% of students earn an average of £200 per week.
London has the best part-time job opportunities for students in the United Kingdom and it is also the home for the top 19 universities of the UK. There are several part-time jobs for international students in various fields.
Students have the opportunity to work inside their campus and this is called: On-campus part-time jobs. This is favorable for the students who live inside the campus. Their work areas can be the library, computer labs, receptions, gyms, cafeteria and other places.
If you don’t get the On-campus part-time jobs you can apply for jobs outside the campus from being a waiter to so many other jobs. We have listed them for you.
Rules and policies
- As an international student who wants to work part-time in the United Kingdom, you should apply for a National Insurance Number (NINO) once you get employed in a part-time job
- After completing graduation the student can stay in the United Kingdom for two years to look for work. This applies to the graduates of all education providers who have been recognized as “Licensed Visa Sponsors”
- You can also apply for a post-work visa after graduation
- Students who are pursuing their bachelor, masters and PhD degrees can work part-time in the United Kingdom
- If you have a partner they are allowed to work in the UK if they have a visa that allows them to work.
How many hours can you work for?
- As an international student, you can work up to 20 hours per week if you are pursuing a bachelors, masters or PhD degree.
- If you are studying a language course you can work up to 10 hours per week.
- After the completion of your course, you can work up to 40 hours per week.
- Your student visa should be valid for your course
- During vacations, you can work full time.
- Payment is calculated based on the number of hours you worked.
What are the jobs you cannot work for?
- If you’re a student who is studying a part-time course in the UK you are not allowed to work.
- Working as a freelancer, self-employment is not allowed
- Being employed as an entertainer, a sports coach, engaging in your business activity is not allowed
- If you’re a dentist or a doctor in training you cannot work
Where can you find jobs for international students in the UK?
You can always get a job which is inside the campus. But if you do not get it there are ample opportunities outside the campus especially in cities like London, Uk. Good communication and skill are all that is necessary. The student must submit a CV which has their educational qualifications, work experience if any and appropriate skills. A decent CV will get you a part-time job in the United Kingdom.
- You can search for part-time jobs online and browse through the job portals
- Look for job openings which are published in the local newspapers
- You can even take help from the career guidance team in the university and find jobs in or near your area.
- Search for part-time job opportunities inside the campus.
It is important to have a good work-life balance as a student. Meeting the deadlines at work and while having time for yourself is necessary. As an international student, you will face many pressures academically and in your work environment. Hence that is why a set of hours is given for you to work in a particular week. It is also necessary that you pick a job that enables you to focus on your academic needs.
You can work in a call center if you have good communication skills. You are responsible to handle the inbound and outbound calls. You will receive complaint calls, support complaints, queries and more. You are in charge of delivering solutions, processing orders, applications, identifying problematic issues, recording complaints and other issues. It has flexible work hours.
£11.13 per hour
You can work in an office environment as an administrator. Here you should handle taking phone calls, greeting visitors, sending emails, filing documents and managing diaries. Here time management, written and verbal communication skills are required.
£9.97 per hour
You can work as a Housekeeper if you have the skill of keeping things clean and organized.
This job requires you to physically work more. You would need to sweep, vacuum, clean bath areas, wash and fold iron clothes, change bed linens, clean interior windows and more. You can work in hotels as well.
£9.42 per hour
Being a private tutor is one of the well paid part-time jobs in the United Kingdom for international students. If you are an expert in a particular subject and have the skill to teach then you can be a tutor. You are required to be organized and help the student understand concepts better. Even if you want to be a teacher then this can be one of the best jobs for you.
£21.28 per hour
You can work as a warehouse operator if you prefer to do physical work. Here you will be responsible for picking and packing stock for delivery, loading products to vehicles and keeping count of the stock levels.
$10.08 per hour
This is for the students who love coffee and are experts in making one. This is a great place to not only work but you can also learn more about coffee. You will be responsible for making hot and cold drinks, cleaning utensils, serving customers and taking orders.
£9.47 per hour
This job will be available inside the campus. This job is available outside the campus as well.In this job you will be responsible for shelving books, helping students find books, other resources, materials and recommend books. You should also provide administrative support to the librarians and help organize any event at the library during events.
£9.94 per hour
Customer service representative :
This job is ideal for those who possess a good communication skill and the skill to solve problems. You are required to answer calls and provide information about the products the customer asks you for. You are also required to fill the datas of new customers in the system.
Marketing consultant :
These jobs can be done as work from home and in offices. Here you are required to work on branding and have a good knowledge about marketing and the ability to connect a lot of people together.
Per insight : $25
Brand ambassador :
Sometimes brands require student networks for them to evolve. For such businesses you can work as a brand ambassador. Knowledge of marketing, social media and peer marketing will be required here. These types of jobs add more value to your CV.
Youth leader in a leadership development program :
This job requires you to be a leader and conduct mentoring sessions in your college which deals with leadership. You are responsible for molding, creating the self confidence of the students under you.
£: 11.05 per hour
Delivery Driver Job :
This is for the ones who love to travel around the city. You can drive around, explore new places at the same time get your work done by delivering packages. There are different delivery jobs such as food delivery, courier delivery and so on.
Part time call center job :
This type of work is for the ones who are excellent communicators and have ample interest to talk. You are required to answer the questions from the customers. This job can be challenging but it pays you well.
Warehouse job :
Being a warehouse employee you can work in different warehouses that belong to clothing, makeup and so much more. You have to keep everything in order and keep a track of the orders that you receive.
Fashion retail job :
This is for the ones who love being in fashion. As an employee you have to not only manage the store but also help the customers to choose outfits. You can also work as a cashier. This job can be exciting but it requires a lot of physical work.
Market research surveys :
This can be a work from home kind of job. You will be required to fill online surveys on various products and services. There are also websites where you can join in for free and earn. The only thing you need here is a good internet connection.
Research on online trends :
There are companies that want people to survey for certain information from the web. This can be an awesome work from home opportunity. You will be required to analyze the online market trends, behaviors and much more.
Market trend researcher :
This type of work is again for you to give your reviews on the brand gift vouchers which are issued by the company. You can earn easy money and create an impact by filling the surveys
Per survey: £5
Watch advertisements and survey :
These are the best online jobs that you can ever find on the internet. All you need to do is watch these advertisements from some amazing companies such as Nestle, Cadbury and others
Per hour : £2
Teach English to children :
Tutoring can be a fun job that requires a lot of hardwork and effort. If you are someone who has a strong command over the English language and willing to teach then you can apply for jobs like these
Per month : £800
Tips to find part time jobs in the UK :
Here are some of the tips for you to find part time jobs in the United Kingdom.
- Initially it is best that you plan beforehand on what type of part time job suits you. There are ample part time jobs in different fields. Your work is to find out which job you prefer. If you’re good in communication you can be a tutor or if you’re good in a subject then you can be a tutor. There are many such options that you can explore.
- Search for these part time jobs online or offline. Do these searches as early as possible so that you can start working quickly. By doing this you don’t need to wait for jobs.
- A CV is a window to show who you’re as an individual. It should contain all your previous experiences, interests and academic details. Only if your CV is impressive can you get those jobs easily.
- Do volunteering and other extracurricular activities which you can add in your CV.
- Always upskill your skills related to the field you work in. As this will help you reach higher positions in work.
- After this process it is essential that you check if all the information that you have provided is right and that there are no mistakes in it.
- Have a good network of people that can connect to your dream jobs. It will be motivating if you surround yourself with successful people.
It is clear that there’s plenty of well paid part time jobs available in the UK for international students. I recommend you research about Part time time in the city and the university locality for more clarity!